Sunday, October 13, 2013

The Precious Little Children

Today is our last day here in Zambia as some of the team will be returning home and the remainder of the team will be meeting up with some additional team members as we head on to South Africa.  Yesterday we spent the day visiting some of the children's clubs that Horizon International leads.  What a blessing it was to have a few minutes with these precious little children.

 
Kathy with some of the children
Special smiles for the camera
 
Stephanie and Amanda sitting with the children
 

As we went to one of the children's clubs I was so blessed to hear the little children get up and share their favorite memory verses and many of them sang us some special songs.  I was reminded of the importance of the scriptures and how in Colossians 3:16 it says "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly."  How is it that these little ones seemed to have the scriptures dwelling in them more so than I?  The Lord has been speaking to me the last several months that I must have the word in my heart so that I am prepared when I need to put on the armor of God.  This journey has made that evermore apparent.  

My heart breaks for these little orphan children and how much they must endure.  How is it that there is so much wealth in this world, and yet these little ones in their tattered clothes are hungry.  Not only hungry for food, but a longing hunger to be belong, to be loved, to know that that they are not alone in this world.  I wish I could relay in words how much it means to these children who are sponsored to know that they are loved and cared for.  Just think about it....what if every person in our circle of influence  and our churches at home would sponsor one child?  What an impact the would make in helping care for these little ones.  As I sit here in the airport working on this blog today the scripture from Luke 6:20-22 comes to mind:

Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God.  Blessed are you who hunger now, for you will be satisfied.  Blessed are you who weep now, for you will laugh.  Blessed are you who when men hate you, when they exclude you and insult you and reject your name as evil, because of the Son of Man.  Rejoice in that day and leap for joy, because great is your reward in heaven. For that is how their fathers treated the prophets.
 
But woe to you who are rich, for you have already received your comfort.  Woe to you who are well fed now, for you will go hungry.  Woe to you who laugh now, for you will mourn and weep.  Woe to you when all men speak well of you, for that is how their fathers treated the false prophets.

As I reflect on that scripture I must ask myself am I doing all I can for these little children.  God says to who much is given much is expected, and so I know that much is expected of me. Today in our devotion time we talked about sacrifice.  As Americans I am not sure we truly understand or comprehend that word.  So many times I think that I am caught up in what I may get out of something than a true heartfelt sacrifice.  There is NO DOUBT that I have been richly blessed, and now is the time when I must stop and examine my heart.  The needs are so overwhelming here in Zambia, and I have been so blessed so am I willing to sacrifice my comforts and luxuries and sponsor one more child?  How can I not.....how can I walk away knowing that I could have helped one more child, to make a difference in one more life.  Would you pray about joining me to help one of God's little children?  If so you can find out more information at www.horizoninternationalinc.com.
Precious children