Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Sticks and Stones and Plastic Containers

Friday, October 18th was a day the team spent visiting the Horizon Offices and various Drop-In Centers in Ramaroka, Manapane, and Madumalang.

At one of our first stops we visited with Pastor Freddie who is trying to plant a church in a small community in Ramaroka where there are few Christians.  Last year the team helped this pastor by making bricks to begin the construction of a new church building in which they can meet.  However, Pastor Freddie explained that after the team left, people in the area began to steal the bricks and those that had originally come to the church were discouraged and many have stopped coming.  Our team got in a circle and began to lift up this pastor and his church in our prayers.

After seeing this modest little church, I am reminded about all the grand buildings in America where we hold our church services - buildings with all the comforts you could think of with plush seats, heating and air conditioning, some with coffee shops or bookstores, with special classrooms for the children to learn and then I look upon this modest little church.  A church with a dirt floor, a rusty old 50 gallon drum for a pulpit, sticks and stones for seats, and a tarp to cover the roof.  I am humbled.  This Pastor is truly walking in faith - stepping out to plant this small church in a community of unbelievers with what little he has.  I am reminded that church really isn't about a fancy building or even the building itself, it is simply about  a community of people coming together to learn more about Jesus, and to grow in that personal relationship with Jesus Christ.  Oh how important it is to be praying for our brothers and sisters abroad, for the burden is heavy and the workers and resources are few and they need our love, encouragement and our prayers!  Jesus said in Matthew 18:19-20" Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven.  For where two or three come together in my name, there I am with you."  You see nothing is impossible with God.  Will you please pray with me for Pastor Freddie and his church that the name of Jesus will be heard all over this community and many will come to know Jesus thru the planting of this humble little church?
 

Remaining bricks to build the church
Doug talking with Pastor Freddie
Current church in Ramaroka
 
It was our visit to the Horizon Drop-In Center in Madumalang where we spent the most time with the children. While we were there we sang songs of praise with the children, they listened to a Bible Story which they were able to participate in, they played games and they spent time coloring. As I looked around at so many of the children it touched my heart. Some came in clean clothes and school uniforms and yet others came in dirty tattered clothing. All of them precious in God's sight and hungry for love and attention. As I looked around I just wanted to scoop many of them up in my arms and love on them and remind them that they are not alone, that they are loved, that they are not forgotten. As I stood in the audience some of the kids would boldly come up to me for a hug, to hold my hand, or a touch and some simply would stand and stare. Those were the ones I would invite to come to me and I would give them a big hug and then you would slowly see a smile creep across their face. As I sit here at home writing about the memory of that day I am reminded that it really isn't so different here at home. We live in a society that is so busy, so schedule driven that we go through the motions of our day without thought to those around us. Do you ever have a day where you just need a hug? A day or a moment where you just wish someone would take the time to stop and acknowledge you, that they would reach out in love and compassion extending God's love in a tangible way? Do you ever have moments where you longed for someone to simply acknowledge that you matter?   For me I think that is the hardest part about returning home. After 19 days with my team and countless women and children with hugs abounding - it is so difficult to come home where you seldom receive a hug or even acknowledgement that you matter.  We live in a society where we are so caught up in our own schedules and tasks at hand and the busyness of our day that so often we don't see the needs around us. We don't have to go around the world to show God's love and compassion - it often starts right here at home. However, for me it is always a blessing to be in another culture, to step outside of my needs and wants, and to simply experience all that God has in front of me.  Now, I must do a better and learn to do the same here at home.     

Children singing - this little boy in the vest was singing
 with such passion and joy it touched my heart
Some of the many children at Madumalang - they all loved to
have their picture taken
 
As my team talked about the afternoon we spent with the children in Madumalang, several individuals on the team were talking about the children with the containers.  You see some kids came with a plastic container in hand and yet others did not.  My team was reflecting on how when the children were involved in an activity like coloring, or playing a game the kids with the plastic container never put it down.  They would tuck that plastic dish in their shirt, under their arm, in their pants, but that dish remained with them at all times.  As I listened to them talk I was reminded of the children in Sekgopo Village where I saw the same thing - some children came with containers and others did not.  You may be wondering - what is the significance of this container to which these children clung to so tightly?  Well, for these children they were not sponsored.  You see all of the Horizon sponsored orphan children receive a plate filled with food each day - that is included as part of their sponsorship.  The children that are not sponsored come as well and any food that remains is given to the other children.  However, they must bring their own dish or container for the food.  This is why that plastic container was so very important to these children, as it may hold the only meal they will receive that day.



Some of the children with their plastic containers
Oh my heart is so heavy when I think about the abundance of food and provision I have been given, and yet here are these blessed little children who hunger.  Hunger not just for food - but hunger to know that someone cares, that someone loves them, and that tomorrow they will have a plate of food for their bellies.   So I ask - as you sit down at your table to eat - would you be willing to sacrifice so one of these children can eat?  Sacrifice so one of these children can have an education?  Sacrifice so one of these children can know that they are loved?  Then maybe just one less child has to lay their head down tonight with hunger gnawing at their belly.  (For more information on child sponsorship see  www.horizoninternationalinc.com)


One of the unsponsored children who
captured my heart